Fun Formula had a chance to interview a young talent racer, who joined to “M-Sport” in WRC, – Teemu Suninen.
Для наших англоязычных читателей FunFormula публикует англоязычную версию интервью с Теему Суниненом – Fun Formula had a chance to interview a young talent racer, who joined to “M-Sport” in WRC, Teemu Suninen.
– Now you became Ford M-Sport factory driver. How it feels to join so serious organisation?
– It feels good and challenging. I have to perform well alongside world champion Seb Ogier as he is a perfect yardstick for me.
– Why all Ford Fiesta\’s, including your car, struggled with pace?
– In Sweden we had some issues with the car but the team is working very hard to improve the competitiveness, and I trust we will be strong in Mexico again.
– Last year you had impressive runs in Fiesta WRC at Poland and Finland. At Finland you fought for podium in only second race in WRC car. How fast you found out this type of car comfortable to you?
– The Fiesta WRC felt familiar straight away. It is so easy to handle and with lots of power, it is also fun to drive. After my test days in UK I could feel that the car suits me well.
– How difficult is adapt to WRC car after R5?
– Not really difficult. As those are so different cars, it is quite easy to make a difference between them in my own thinking. With R5 everything happens a bit slower despite it is a fast car too.
– Before M-Sport, you was member of Toyota Gazoo Racing young driver programme. What experience you\’ve got there?
– I was part of Toyota Motorsport GmbH´s (TMG) programme for some time. It was a great benefit to get and drive a WRC car in a development phase so early in my rally career. Just warm memories.
– Have you confident, that you can join Jari Matti Latvala, Petter Solberg and Mikko Hirvonen in Malcolm Wilson\’s talent list?
– Yes, sure, I am confident that I can be on that list that consists of famous Finnish rally talents. With the help of my manager Timo Jouhki I am always on correct path and proceeding in my career.
– This year you get experience behind the wheel of WRC car on different surfaces. When you planning to fight for championship title?
– I hope soon. It is difficult to say which year it may happen. Definitely still not this year as I only do eight rallies with WRC car. We need to see our progress during this season and then I will have a better idea.
– Have you any another racing discipline, where you want to try your hand?
– Not anymore. I used to drive go-karts for very long time and even tried rallycross. But now it is only rally in WRC level that matters. That is my sole aim and my only focus.
– Thank you very much for interview!